Monday, May 5, 2008

Scholarship and Financial Resources

The scholarships listed below are administered by outside entities. Please contact the relevant organization for more information. Visit the study abroad and development offices at your institution for information about other sources of scholarships for study abroad. Local service groups, foundations or corporations may also offer scholarships for study abroad.

Study Abroad Scholarships

BUTEX North American Scholarships 2008-09
BUTEX is now accepting applications for its North American Scholarship Programme 2008/09!

The Scholarship is open to all undergraduate students currently registered at an institution in the USA or Canada. To be eligible to apply you must have been offered a place as a study abroad or exchange student in a UK university which is a member of BUTEX (British Transatlantic Exchange Association) for the academic year 2008/09. The value of each scholarship is US$1000 and will be paid to the winners once they have arrived and registered at their host university.For further details of how to apply for this scholarship please see: d=27&form=howtoapply

Gilman Scholarships
Awards of up to $5,000 are made for U.S. citizen undergraduates to study abroad. Students who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding are eligible to apply. This program is funded by Congress and sponsored by the U.S. Department of State. Students who receive the Gilman Scholarship are now eligible to receive an additional $3,000 Critical Need Language Supplement from the Gilman Program for a total possible award of up to $8,000. Critical Need Languages available on ISEP programs include Chinese, Korean, and Russian (available in Latvia and Estonia).

National Security Education Program
Awards usually cover the full cost of study and travel abroad. Created by Congress in 1991, NSEP was intended to encourage American students to study less commonly taught languages and cultures, especially in nations considered to be of interest to national security. The program also aspires to increase the number of Americans qualified for government service and international diplomacy. After graduation, student recipients are required to work for an office or agency of the Federal Government involved in national security affairs or in higher education.

Rotary Foundation
Academic-Year Ambassadorial Scholarships of up to $26,000 provide funding for one academic year of study in another country. Cultural Ambassadorial Scholarships are for either three or six months of intensive language study and cultural immersion. ISEP students studying in English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish or Swedish may qualify for the Cultural Ambassador Scholarship.

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Scholarships to highly qualified undergraduate students for study abroad, university language or summer courses, senior thesis research and/or internships in the Federal Republic of Germany.

Bridging Scholarships
For study abroad in Japan. Undergraduate students of any major are eligible to apply. The awards are typically $2,500 for semester-long programs or $4,000 for academic-year programs. The application deadline is in April.

Morgan Stanley Japan Scholarships
Awards two $7,500 scholarships to US students who will be studying in Japan for the academic year to augment its contribution to the Bridging Project for Study Abroad in Japan. Eligible students include juniors and seniors at US universities with an interest in economics and international finance who have been accepted for study in Japan. Winners may also be considered for internships at Morgan Stanley Japan's Tokyo headquarters.

Freeman-ASIA Scholarships
Designed to support American undergraduates with demonstrated financial need who are planning on studying overseas in East or Southeast Asia.

Itoh Scholarship Foundation
A non-profit charitable institute that provides provides financial assistance for the study of the Japanese language at Japanese universities.

Japan Student Services Organization
Available for qualified international students already accepted by Japanese universities or graduate schools for a semester or year.

Blakemore Freeman Fellowships for Advanced Asian Language Study
Only available to American citizens and permanent residents of the United States who have a college degree and plan to use an Asian language in their career.